Maritime Memorial General Information
Thank you for your interest in the Maritime Memorial and this unique tribute to your friends and family. For information regarding the Maritime Memorial call (503) 325-7275 or email Brianna Bowker, Recreation Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Size of engraving space: Spaces are 4" x 12"
Name of person is limited to 18 characters, including spaces
Inscription is limited to 23 spaces including spaces
As of June 1, 2015 cost of engraving per individual space is $500 per space if stock graphic is used or $650 if customized artwork is requested—total fee must be paid prior to reserving a space on the Wall. Stock graphic images are defined as any image that has been engraved on the Memorial Wall previously. Custom images must be approved by the City of Astoria, and the Maritime Memorial Committee. No spaces are reserved until payment in full is received.
Engraving is done once per year in May. Requests are due by April 1st. Dedication of newly engraved spaces is done annually on Memorial Day at 3pm. Vancouver Granite Works does the engraving—which takes 2-3 days when the weather is clear and dry. On the engraving year, a letter is sent to the purchaser of the plaque indicating the completion of the engraving and announcing the service.
Other General Policies & Information
- No more than 1 person's name on each plaque.
- No animal names and plaques cannot be purchased in the name of an animal.
- Only names of deceased may be engraved.
- No maritime relationship of the person is required.
- The graphic and/or words should be maritime related and will be reviewed by the City staff or Maritime Memorial Committee for appropriateness. When choosing a graphic, indicate the number on the application.
- Engravings shall be limited to name, year of birth and death, personalized graphic and/or limited words about the person. Exception: 1 additional line of text may be granted in lieu of a graphic.
- An anchor will be engraved by the name of any person who died at sea. It is not required that the person have been "lost at sea".
- Wall space is selected at random and requests for a specific location will be denied.
- Engravings are done in sequence beginning with the first panel and continue down.
maritimememorialapplication.pdf maritime memorial graphics sheets memorials and engravings policy APRD.pdf
Return to Astoria Parks & Attractions