Volunteer Firefighter Application Process
This on-line application will take you to another page: https://astoria.applicantpool.com/jobs/
After you have completed and submitted the application, you will be contacted by Deputy Chief Terry Corbit. The next step is to complete a pass/fail physical ability test. That will be followed by an interview with a committee comprised of other firefighters, both volunteer and career. The interview process is a great opportunity to tell us more about yourself, your experience with firefighting, training, and the reasons why you want to become a volunteer firefighter. Following the interview process, we will complete a criminal and driving background check. Finally, after successful completion of the above phases, we will begin scheduling your medical exams and drug screen.
- At least 18 years of age at time of application.
- Valid Oregon Driver’s license.
- Reside within the city limits of Astoria.
- Be in good physical condition to pass a physical agility test.
- Pass a drug screening and background check.
- Commit to weekly training and respond to emergency calls.
- Fire Suppression
- Rescue Operations
- Fire Prevention
- Emergency Medical Services
- Clean and Maintain Fire Equipment and Facilities
Examples of Work
- Responds to fire and other emergency calls which include laying hose and connecting to hydrants; directing streams of water or chemicals onto fires; ventilating structures; searching buildings; and rescuing individuals from buildings or other hazardous situations.
- Provide emergency medical services.
- Preforms fire prevention/safety information to schools, organizations, businesses, etc.
- Performs specialized fire and safety functions as assigned and trained (e.g. hazardous materials, marine fire safety association, emergency medical services).
- Trains and drills on fire, hazardous materials, and emergency medical related subjects, techniques, and procedures.